‘Ello, Strangers! I’m a bit delayed with June’s music of the month post, mostly because I completely forgot about it. Also… I haven’t been listening to too many June releases. I’ve only just recently become a twenty one pilots fan, so I’ve been listening almost exclusively to them. However, I have enjoyed some June releases that I’d like to introduce you to today. Obviously, I’ve adored Lorde’s latest release Melodrama, but I won’t be talking about that today (a review is coming, I promise). Instead, I’d like to discuss a handful of songs that really made my June lit.
- “Instruction” (feat. Demi Lovato and Stefflon Don) by Jax Jones- While this song is far from being Demi’s best collab, it’s still a really fun dance track. Plus, it features the iconic line, “If you’re the supreme/ I’m Diana Ross.” I don’t really have much else to say, but if you’re looking for a mindless bop, check this one out.
- “Look at Us Now” (feat. Ally Brooke Hernandez and A$AP Ferg) by Lost Kings- This was a song I didn’t expect to like, but find I really bop to. It’s a song about exes banging. And that’s literally it. The chorus makes you want to get low. It’s a great pop track and Lost Kings are definitely EDM producers to look out for.
- “Moonlight” by Grace VanderWaal- This song is super gay. I don’t know if it was intended to be gay, but it is. It’s a soft, acoustic track about Grace’s (possible) ex who is going through a hard time. It also has the adorable line, “The light in your eyes made it feel like/ We were dancing in the moonlight.” Like I said, it’s super soft and super gay and you need it in your life.
- “Two Fux” by Adam Lambert- Adam Lambert, the real winner of American Idol Whatever-Season-He-Was-On, has finally released a new song. It always feels like forever between albums. This is a song in which Adam embraces his weirdness and declares he doesn’t care what anyone thinks. It’s classic Lambert and I’m all about it.
- “Feels” (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, and Big Sean) by Calvin Harris- This track is easily this year’s throwback jam, reminiscent of “Uptown Funk.” While no song can ever beat “Uptown Funk,” this one is still a good jam. It’s about two people who meet in a club and dig each other. They’re also totally cool with it turning into something real. I also really dig Big Sean’s verse. If you want a fun summer jam, check this one out.
- “Baby It’s You” by Haley Reinhart- Haley, another person robbed on Idol, returns with the first single to her third album. This is a jazzy number about a bad lover who you just can’t let go of. Haley croons over the track, bringing a sexy flair to it. If you’ve never listened to one of her songs, change that immediately.
- “Remember I Told You (Acoustic)” [feat. Anne-Marie and Mike Posner] by Nick Jonas- While I wasn’t impressed with the single version, the acoustic version blew me away. It adds an earnestness to the song that wasn’t there before. It’s a song about a lover who’s grown distant and Nick trying to remind them what they mean to him. Anne-Marie harmonizes on the choruses and Mike adds his own perspective. If you need a little more Jonas in your life, check this song out.
- “The Way I Are (Dance With Someday)” [feat. Lil Wayne] by Bebe Rexha- In this pop track, Bebe cleverly samples “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and combines it with her message of wanting someone to love her for who she is. While I don’t care for Lil Wayne’s verse, this song is still a cute self-love track that’s also self-aware. If you feel that, check this track out.
- “Wearing Nothing” by Dagny- Okay, this one is cheating because it technically came out at the end of May, but I still want to talk about it. This is a soft, alt. pop song about being so into someone you just want to get naked. It’s a strangely cute little song and Dagny’s voice fits it perfectly. If you’re looking for something to add to your playlist, make it this song.
So, what June releases did you enjoy? Let me know in the comments!